Thursday 28 March 2013

Anticipation – assignment due in at 4.00 p.m. today



I had a few emails yesterday – last minute check-ups on aspects of the assignment due in at 4.00 p.m. today. It’s a little odd, getting an assignment in during the first week of the Easter break. This came about partly because we rolled last year’s calendar. Many, student, though, have said they actually like this – it gives them some breathing space after the routine of classes. They now have the brain space to devote to the topic.
I’m expecting a 500 word synopsis of a novel they’ve planned, a 250 word self-assessment, an annotated bibliography and three pages of drafts, representing three different stages of the drafting process.
I am nervous. Will they all submit? Will I have to chase people? Will there be any technical problems?
I think I’ve taught them well. I’ve had pleasing reactions to this module in the past. I’ve added more material, including some assignments completed by former students. I’ve annotated these in depth. I’ve had some good synposes and good ideas for stories. We’ve workshopped this year’s batch a little in class, and I’ve given some students some formative feedback on earlier drafts. Even so, I remain a little nervous that they may not “get” the exercise. Or that my inbox will be full of last minute panics.
And yet I am excited. I’m hoping for some excellent writing, some exciting ideas and the feeling that some are on their way to brilliant careers as writers.
Would you believe I have butterflies in my tummy at the thought of going to that Turnitin folder later today? I pick up my new car this afternoon and that’s not half as exciting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment